3 Ways to Stay on Track Through the Holidays
The holiday season is here. Do you feel your time being siphoned away as all kinds of activities fill your calendar? If the holidays threaten to derail your workouts, check out these ideas to help keep you on track this season.
1. Go into maintenance mode:
Dial your workouts down to maintenance levels when time gets tight. Try one day of moderate to hard strength training and two days of shorter, higher intensity cardiovascular work. Or, do two days of a short circuit to get core, strength, and some cardiovascular training in at the same time.
2. Build more movement into your day at work:
- Get up from your desk more frequently for a short walk
- Use a rest room further away from your desk than you normally use
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator, even for just a portion of the trip
- Get off the T one stop early and walk the rest of the way
- Ask colleagues to have walking meetings
- Stand up and pace whenever you take a phone call
3. Build more movement into your day away from work:
- Park further away from shopping destinations
- Use the stairs at the mall instead of the escalator
- Take a longer route to a particular store in the mall to get more steps
- Stand up and do 10 body weight squats during a commercial when watching television
- Get down on the floor and do a set of 10 bridges or planks during the next commercial
It’s difficult to stick to a normal exercise program when time is scarce and stress is high, but it’s okay to gear down and maintain. Fitting in a short workout will help you manage stress, keep your fitness from regressing, and make it easier to get back to normal after the holidays.