Be Fit Basics: Herbed Pear Breakfast Sausage [RECIPE]
Be Fit Basics: Herbed Pear Breakfast Sausage
Adapted from Cooking Light
1 pound- ground turkey meat (look for 93% lean or ground turkey breast)
¾ cup- diced pear
¾ cup -diced red pepper
½ cup -diced red onion
¼ cup- chopped cilantro leaves
1 tsp -dried sage (or ½ -1 tbsp chopped fresh sage)
½ tsp -salt
½ tsp- ground cumin
½ tsp -ground allspice
½ tsp- crushed red pepper
1½ tbsp- canola oil
Yield: 4 servings
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the canola oil. Shape into 8 patties (½ inch thick).
- Heat a large sauté pan on medium heat and add half the canola oil and half the shaped patties.
- Cook patties about 4 minutes per side, until slightly golden brown with an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Drain the patties on paper towels. Wipe out any bits in the pan and repeat with the remaining oil and patties.
- -You can substitute other herbs, like parsley or basil, for the cilantro. Fresh rosemary or oregano can also be used, but use much less because they are stronger-flavored.
- This recipe is also gluten free, but be sure to check your spices if you have Celiac disease.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (2 small patties):
CALORIES: 260 calories
PROTEIN: 22 g
SODIUM: 375 mg
CARBOHYDRATE: 10 g
FIBER: 2 g
FAT: 15 g
SAT FAT: 3 g