Orange-Glazed Tofu [RECIPE]
Be Fit Basics: Orange-Glazed Tofu
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks
GROCERY SHOPPING LIST
Condiments: olive oil; soy sauce; mirin; maple syrup; ground coriander
1 cup orange juice
1 nob of fresh ginger (a bit smaller than the size of your thumb), peeled and grated
1 tbsp -soy sauce
1½ tbsp mirin (a sweet Japanese rice wine)
2 tsp maple syrup
½ tsp ground coriander
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1 block (package) of tofu (about 14 ounces)
2 tbsp olive oil
Yield: 4 servings
- Place the orange juice and ginger in a small bowl. (You can grate the ginger by using a microplane or cheese grater.) Add the soy sauce, mirin (or mirin substitute, see the notes), maple syrup, coriander, and garlic to the bowl; mix all ingredients and set aside.
- Cut the block of tofu into 4 rectangles and then cut each rectangle on the diagonal so you have 8 triangles; pat dry with a paper towel. Place olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add the tofu and fry until it’s golden on its underside. Flip each piece of tofu and cook until the other side is golden.
- Add the orange mixture to the pan with the tofu and cook until the liquid has reduced to a thick sauce. Spoon the sauce over the tofu and serve.
MAKE IT A MEAL:
- Entrée: 1 serving orange-glazed tofu
- Starch: 2/3 cup cooked brown rice (145 calories) topped with ~¼ chopped cilantro and 2 tbsp cashews (100 calories)
- Vegetable: 2 cups mixed greens with a squeeze of lemon juice and ½ tbsp olive oil (60 calories)
- Mirin can be found in certain grocery stores or at specialty Asian markets.
- If you can’t find Yield: 4 servings, substitute sweet Marsala wine or add a very small amount of sugar to sherry, sake, or white wine.
- Leftovers: Place leftover tofu strips in a pita with cilantro, lettuce, avocado, and tomato slices.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING:
CALORIES: 220 calories
PROTEIN: 12 g
SODIUM: 280 mg
CARBOHYDRATE: 15 g
FIBER: 2 g
FAT: 14 g
Sat Fat: 1 g